Sunday, June 9, 2024

I'm a Poet--Did you know it?

 First, apologies for the blog title.  Sometimes I forget that I am writing to adults and not sixth graders.  You would not believe how many laughs I have gotten out of my middle school students by using that line!  

I do write a bit of poetry.  Mostly, I write fun poems to celebrate birthdays or other congratulatory occasions.  I have definitely written more than one "Ode To Troy Burwell"!  This past spring, I gave my sixth graders the assignment of writing a poem, and I have always promised them that I will do any and every assignment that I give them to do.  So, I did.  

I am going to be honest...I'm not that bad at it.  

I wrote from my heart.  I shared about a topic that we women (especially) often deal with--outer beauty--what is in the mirror.  I write it as if I could go back and speak to my teenaged self.  This is what I would say to her.


Mirror Liturgy 

 

How do I look? 

It’s my daily grief 

I bow down to the mirror god, 

My security thief 

 

I spend too much time here 

My hair, my face, my eyes 

The mirror god commands me, look better! 

A liturgy I’ve come to despise 

 

When will I be pretty? 

When will I grow up? 

I am anxious, afraid, and fettered 

Of what I will or won’t become. 

 

But today in the mirror, it’s different... 

it is me I see there-- 

Not the me of here and now

But the me of later years. 

 

She says, come close and listen well 

There are things that you must hear 

Truths for you to cling to 

Hope to keep near 

 

You are made to do good 

And created by design 

In your heart there are passions 

And places to shine 

 

Wait for your true love 

And all those children too! 

A home and all that you ever dreamed 

I promise... it’s coming soon. 

 

Right now, you don’t feel seen 

By anyone but you, 

In years to come you are beheld 

By a lover strong and true 

 

And children to adore 

And babies to raise 

And students to teach, 

 And prayers to say 

 

Good fights to fight 

And mission to do  

These are the dreams  

That are waiting for you 

 

She smiles at me with pride 

Whispers a new liturgy in my ear: 

You beautiful girl, be strong and secure 

It only gets better from here!