Sunday, June 30, 2024

First World Suffering

You know what DRIVES ME CRAZY?!  When my children (or my students) whine about something small and relatively unimportant.  

For example, near the end of the school year, I announced a pop quiz and immediately heard a chorus of moans and whines.  

"But Ms. Burwell...it's MAY."  

"Ms. Burwell, we just got done with an essay."  

"Ms. Burwell, I didn't get to do the reading because I had soccer practice."

I rolled my eyes.  I shouted, "OMG you snowflakes!  Grow up, buttercups!  Get over it.  You have food and clothes and education.  Isn't that enough??"

Ok, ok.  I did not actually say that.  But I thought it really loudly.

They were experiencing what I like to call "First World Suffering".  As critical as I feel when I hear others remark on how very hard things are, it may shock you, dear reader, to know that I am constantly experiencing first world suffering.  

Oh poor me, I really, really want a beach condo but we can't get one.  (In fact, we only get ONE little week at the beach this summer.  Such hardship!). I am so tired of these Birkenstocks...can't I get some new ones?  Chicken for dinner AGAIN?  I've run out of Netflix shows...whatever will I do?!  I have a new gray hair...where is the justice in the world?  AND, OH MY WORD, the internet went out again!  

I was literally writing a prayer in my journal today:  "Lord, help me to be content with our life in Johns Creek rather than always wishing that I could live at the beach."  And when I re-read what I wrote, I thought, I AM SUCH A BRAT.  God has given me a husband-of-my-dreams, 4 beautiful and healthy (and sometimes nice) children, a great house, the truest of friends, and a job that I adore.  And I am praying about the beach.  I am just embarrassed.  If Jesus were less loving, he would probably roll his eyes and call me a snowflake!  As it is, I imagine he might say, "I have given you all you need and many things you want.  I have covered your sins.  You are looking forward to a million years of eternal joy.  And you are mad that you can't go to the beach over the 4th of July??"

In second and third world nations, there are people so hungry that their bellies are swollen, people who are being trafficked and forced to do who knows what, people who are in danger when they leave their homes.  Even in first world US, there is real suffering.  One of my best friends is walking with her husband as he battles stage 4 cancer.  I bet she isn't worried about how many days this summer that her toes will (or will not) dig into the Gulf Coast sand.  She just wants her kids to get to keep their Dad for a few more years.  

Most of my "problems" are really not-at-all-suffering.  I am going to ask God to change me, so I can get over myself and come along those who are REALLY suffering.  Jesus, please fix my often-screwed-up perspective.  Clearly, I am not doing a good job of it by myself.